Minutes of the meeting held on Thursday 6 June 2019, 7.30pm

Present:           S Salmon (Chair), C Bonham-Christie, C Kenyon, R Masson-Taylor, D Valentine
Clerk:              R Nield
Apologies:       C Galpin, Michael Gay

Declarations of Interest:
None

19.1 Minutes of the last meeting:
Having been circulated, SS signed the minutes as a true and accurate record of the
meeting.

Meeting suspended at 7.34pm for:

Members of the public comments:
None

19.2 Co-opting council members

A letter of interest had been received from Mrs Diana Francis and circulated to TPC councillors. CBC proposed that Diana Francis be co-opted onto the council, CK seconded the motion. This was approved unanimously.

19.3 Planning

There were no planning applications to consider.

19.4  Past subject matters

19.4.1 Parish Bulletin

This had been circulated to councillors. SS drew attention to the next Mendip Parish Forum meeting on Thursday 13 June at 6pm at MDC in Shepton Mallet. She also reminded the Council of the Committee on Standards in Public Life’s seven principles of public life which apply to anyone who works as a public office holder. This includes all those elected or appointed to public office, nationally or locally; and everyone working in the civil service, local government, the police, courts and probation services, non-departmental public bodies and in the health, education and social care sectors. These will be posted on the Parish noticeboards and the website.

19.4.2 Fund Raising Event

RMT wanted to agree details of the 2 events proposed for later in the year with all Council members. The following was agreed:

  • CBC will lead on a community event on Saturday 26 October in the Village Hall. This will have a Halloween influence and will be for the enjoyment and benefit of parishioners. Estimated ticket cost will be £10. CBC to organise working group to action this.
  • RMT will lead on a fundraising, Cheese & Wine event at Marston House. Cost will be £20 – £25 per head. Date envisaged is 26 November and there may be a Christmas flavour. RMT to decide what help will be needed and feedback.

Both events will raise money for the TPC with a proportion of funds generated to be donated to local charities.

19.5   Correspondence and Emails 

19.5.1 Website statistics. RN had shared the latest data received from Moson Solutions regarding visitors to the Trudoxhill website. In April there were 1971 visitors to the site creating a total of 3161 visits in that month.                                                           

19.9.2 Frome Rural Pact meeting minutes. This meeting allows local law enforcement agencies to report back on what has been happening in the locally and consult with the local community. SS attended the April meeting and underlined the importance of members of the TPC attending to keep up to date on events and to represent the interests and concerns of the Trudoxhill Parish.

19.5.3 VE Day 2020. Further details have come through to TPC regarding the national celebrations next year to mark the 75th anniversary of VE Day. The celebrations will be focused around the weekend 8-10 May 2020 which will also be an international celebration of peace – a time to remember, reflect and pay tribute to the millions who played such a vital part in achieving it. Councillors agreed that representatives of the church at Marston Bigot and The White Hart in Trudxohill should be consulted to ensure that any response to this event is comprehensive and a cohesive community effort. SS to speak with Jane Norris and CBC to speak with Sam Green-Armytage.

19.6   Finance

19.6.1 Current financial statement dated 31st May 2019 – RN apologised that she was unable to present the latest statement but would do so at the next meeting in July.

19.6.2 Accounts for payment:

  • £25          Lucy Carter for account auditing services
  • £22          Trudoxhill Village Hall Friendship Café April
  • £22          Trudoxhill Village Hall Friendship Café May
  • £140.12   Clerk’s salary

19.6.3 To update on preparations for end of year accounts – RN confirmed that CG had prepared the accounts for the end of year. Exemption from formal auditing had been requested as the TPC income is less than £25k, section 1 has been signed and SS signed section 2. These will be published with the Minutes.

19.7   Items to report

19.7.1 Highways – SS commended Charlie Higgins at Highways for the prompt action taken to repair a pothole reported recently. She also reported that the cones in place near Greggs at Nunney Catch are still in place and the situation seems unchanged. However, the situation continues to be monitored. CK raised issues on Gare Hill. The white line on the bend of the road needs repainting. Wiltshire authorities say that Somerse4t is responsible. SS to raise with the relevant department. Also, part of the road has been repaired but this is starting to fall out and is being washed away. SS will report this to Highways.

19.7.2 Footpaths – CG had sent his apologies for this meeting and there was nothing new to report on Footpaths.

19.7.3 Your View – next edition. DV confirmed that the next edition is due for publication in July and asked for input. It was agreed that the following should be included:

  • Fundraising community events
  • Support for Village Hall and seeking volunteers to help
  • Teas at Marston church in July and August. SS to write up

19.7.4 Community Gardens, inspections and insurance – DV highlighted the great work that Clare has been doing and that she needs to be supported to prevent this becoming onerous for one person. DV has emailed all the people who had been trained in carrying out inspections and has received some response. SS emphasised that the TPC is ultimately responsible and that there must be structure and transparency to ensure that the weekly inspections are carried out and logged. DV confirmed that he will work with Clare Midgley Jewitt.

 to create a rota involving everyone who has been trained and is willing and he will monitor and collate all information. DV will update progress at the next meeting.

19.8 Other Business referred to the Clerk

19.8.1 The Village Hall committee is in desperate need of new members. RMT flagged up the Village Hall AGM on 27 June and raised the importance of TPC councillors to support the Village Hall committee members and their work. After discussion, it was agreed that TPC will raise its level of support. In the short term TPC will publicise for help and raise awareness and RMT to request a list of responsibilities at the Village Hall to help understand the challenges and how support can best be provided.

19.8.2 Notice has been received that planning application 2019/0430/HSE to remove existing porch and rebuild to existing specification at Church of St Laurence, Main Frome Road to Foghamshire Lane Trudoxhill has been approved with conditions.

19.8.3 RN asked that Councillors consider extending the length of time that anyone held the Chair of TPC from 2 months to 3. This would help with continuity and increase efficiency. CK proposed the motion and CBC seconded it. It was agreed unanimously.

19.8.4 Our newly elected Ward Councillor; Michael Gay sent his apologies for the meeting but wished for the following to be minuted:

Please minute my thanks to the people of Trudoxhill who have selected me as their Representative, which is a great honour. My intention is to work with the Parish Council, to attend their meeting and support other events and organisations within the Parish, help the residents, and promote the farms and businesses.

Following the elections, the LD’s (with some Independents) are in charge of the running of the Council. Green Party councillors are now in opposition, albeit we hope to work positively with all the Council. Personally, I will sit on the Audit and Scrutiny boards, and be the shadow Portfolio holder for Transformation: so I’m currently undergoing much training. First and foremost I will serve the community, you can contact me on email at .

19.8.5 St Margaret’s Hospice Care have advertised a fundraising initiative. Over 50 gardens in Somerset and Dorset are open for visits this Summer. The information and a link to the website will be advertised in the Parish for people to take advantage of this. RN to email out and add to the Trudoxhill website.

.

The meeting closed at 9.04pm

The next Parish Council Meeting will be held at 7.30pm on Thursday 4 July 2019 in Trudoxhill Village Hall.

 For the attention of Mrs S Salmon, Mr C Bonham-Christie, Mrs D Francis, Mr C Galpin, Mr C Kenyon, Mr R Masson-TaylorMendip District Councillor for Postlebury Ward:  Michael Gay

Upcoming Events
Categories
Archives