TRUDOXHILL PARISH COUNCIL MEETING

Minutes of meeting held on 3rd August 2017

PRESENT:        P Twigger, C Galpin, C Kenyon, S Salmon, A Steele, J Symes, District Cllr Skidmore

9 members of the public

CLERK:              Georgina Blackshaw

APOLOGIES:    D Valentine, Cllr Ham


Declaration of Interest:

None.

4.0 The Minutes

Having been circulated, PT then signed them off as a true copy.

Meeting then suspended at 7.35 pm for:

Members of the Public Comments:

Ragwort on A361 and area. Clerk to report to MDC. Email requesting information on Leonard Pearce, a former Churchwarden at Marston church. SS offered to send on the information she had as no parishioner present had any knowledge of the gentleman. Angela Yeomen had sent an update on Marston church with her apologies for not being present through illness. There is to be a Harvest Supper at Marston House on October 7th. Tickets will be on sale soon and details will be circulated on the enewsletter and Your View. CG will organise. A parishioner gave her observations on the planning application 2017/1847/FUL which is on the Agenda for the formal section of the meeting. These were noted. The Chairman of CPRE introduced himself as he had been asked to attend by the parishioner. The Clerk will email him a copy of the response that will be sent to MDC by the 10th August.

Meeting resumed at 7.55pm

4.1 Planning 

CK (Cllr with responsibility for Planning Issues) reported that he had information from MDC Enforcement on the two areas of concern that had been raised by parishioners i.e. the sitting of a caravan/mobile home to the north side of the cycle path, Old Road to Main Road, Nunney and the erection of a 2 metre high fence/single storey structure at Bunns Lane. Tom Boyle had expressed concern over the height and location of the fence on the former issue having decided that the structure being built inside is correctly positioned. He has now left MDC and David Woodridge (Senior Planning Enforcement Officer) will now follow this up. He will also look at the latter issue but stated that with the loss of a member of staff, progress will be slower than anticipated. The Clerk did ask Cllr Skidmore to pass on our thanks to Mr Woodridge and an appreciation of the extensive workload he is now having to deal with.

Applications Approved by MDC: 2017/0193/FUL. Change of use to Greg’s Bakery, Nunney catch.

2016/0435/VRC: Variation on conditions. Plot 2 The Old Orchard site, Trudoxhill

Application No 2017/1961/REM This had been received after the Agenda had been circulated, with a deadline for responses by 20/08/17. Clerk asked Cllr’s to check online and send comments to her by 18th. She will liaise with the Chairman and send in the decision to MDC. It will be displayed on the notice boards.

Application No: 2017/1910/FUL. Single storey extension for hydrotherapy pool   Mr R. Mason-Taylor, The Rectory, Marston Bigot. Cllrs could see no problem and it was Recommended for Approval.

Application No: 2017/1847/FUL Conversion of existing workshop and office buildings to 2 dwellings. Mr I Webb, The Builder’s Yard, Cheese Hill, Marston Bigot. PT summarised an email sent from John Salmon, a parishioner, who is a planning expert and has worked with the TPC over many years. It had been circulated to all and suggested the quality of the plan and other issues with the landscaping were flawed. Cllr Skidmore stated that it was outline only but PT confirmed that it is a full application. Mr Skidmore suggested that if it was not granted Mr Webb would not be able to instigate his move of the Heavy Plant depot to Coleman’s Quarry. SS said that the whole issue had gone on too long and that a pragmatic approach was needed. All agreed that Mr Webb should be congratulated on accepting the situation and the proposed move but were very unhappy with the suggestion that it was on the basis of these plans being passed. All Cllr’s expressed great concern about the plans put before them. The design was substandard, and the quality of landscaping was poor with an open grassed area with potential for fly tipping. The site deserved better dwellings, more appropriate to the setting and the proposal was demeaning as it stood. All voted to Refuse the Application. Clerk will send a detailed summary to MDC by 10th August.

4.2 Previous Subject Matters  

4.2.1 Bus report. Michael Gay had forwarded a copy of proposals for the next year but as we have received the grant from the Somerset Community Foundation our funding is secure. JS offered to contact Witham amd Wanstrow Parish Councils to encourage and support them in applying for a similar grant to ensure the scheme can continue. He was thanked for this.

4.3 Correspondence.

All considered. PT asked if individual Cllr’s and parishioners present had received the enewsletter sent prior to the meeting. No one had and so CG will investigate. SWP had sent a letter stating that fly tipping was down in the region but a parishioner present, who is a farmer, stated that he was still having considerable trouble and great expense. The TPC offered to raise this in Your View and ask the community to be vigilant and report anything suspicious they may see.

4.4 Accounts for Payment

4.4.1 Grass cutting – Kev Gale – £100

4.4.2 Clerk’s wages – £106.45

4.4.3 Bus subsidy – MCT – £50.61

4.4.4 Friendship Café. V Hall rent – £21.00

4.4.5 HMRC – £97.40

4.4.6 Playsafety. ROSPA annual Inspection – £79.80

Direct debit Sovereign playground maintenance – £17.99

4.5 Items to Report:

4.5.1   Communications policy. CG presented the policy, having circulated a copy to Cllr’s prior to the meeting. It was adopted and a copy will be added to the website. CG and DV as Cllr’s with responsibilities for this area have agreed to divide the role as follows: enewletter/posters/flyers will be covered by CG while the website/Facebook will be the responsibility of DV.

4.5.2 Playground ROSPA inspection. A copy of the annual report had been circulated and the loose fitting would be tightened by PT.

4.5.3 Village Hall. AS reported the finance were is a good position and a copy of the balance sheet had been circulated. There are no planned fundraising events as there is a lack of new volunteers to organise such events. A new water meter will be fitted and estimates are being requested to replace the floor. The chairs are to be reupholstered.

* CG asked if he could update the TPC about the underpass at the top of the village off the A361 as he had received information and would not be at the Sept meeting.  Somerset Highways are going to liaise with the cycle team to investigate it becoming an official cycle route. It will be a long process but CG will monitor and report back at a later date.

4.6 Other Business referred to the Clerk

4.6.1. Zurich insurance renewal. Clerk had received the quote which is £2.00 less than last year and provides comprehensive cover to include the Community Garden. She asked for approval to renew and this was given. A cheque will be raised and sent by mid – August.

4.6.2. Your View. Clerk asked Cllr’s to support Richard (Brooks) by emailing him suitable articles for the August edition within the next week to ten days.  Clerk will circulate a suggestion for some of the content that could be included and add information about ‘Fly the Red Ensign Day’ for the Merchant Navy. It is the occupation of one parishioner who may well be able to fly the flag on 3rd September from his window in the centre of the village as the parish does not have a flag pole. An initial conversation has taken place and Clerk will follow up by passing on the relevant literature and display a poster.

The meeting closed at 8.45pm.

All Agenda items to the Clerk by Wednesday 31st August please.

The next Parish Council meeting will be at 7.30pm Thursday 7th

September 2017 in Trudoxhill Village Hall

 

For the attention of: Mr P Twigger, Mr C Galpin, Mr C Kenyon, Mrs S Salmon, Revd. A Steele,                                 Mr J Symes, Mr D Valentine

District Councillors:  Dick Skidmore and Philip Ham