Minutes of meeting held on 8th May 2017

PRESENT:        C Galpin, C Kenyon, A Steele, J Symes, P Twigger, D Valentine

7 members of the public

CLERK:              Georgina Blackshaw

APOLOGIES:    S Salmon District Cllr’s Ham and Skidmore

Declaration of Interest:



Election of Chairperson

Clerk asked Councillors for nomination(s) for Chairperson for the coming year. JS nominated PT, who was seconded by AS. No other nominations. A vote was then taken and all Cllr’s voted in favour. PT then resumed as Chairman.


1.0 The Minutes

Having been circulated, PT then signed them off as a true copy.


Meeting then suspended at 7.35pm for:


Members of the Public Comments:

Angela Yeoman, as Church Warden, reported that work to St Leonard’s Church at Marston Bigot was going well and that it was hoped to reopen by 30th May for a burial. She would liaise with CG about this.

A parishioner expressed the thoughts of all present when she said how good the supporting wall at the entrance looked. She also reported that the bottom hinge of the gate between the Community Garden and the garden of Holmlea was broken. JS will check and repair. The hedge at Pound Cottage needs to be cut to make the Give Way safer. PT will chase up with the owner/Agent as the house is about to be vacated by the current tenant.


Meeting resumed at 7.45pm


1.1 Planning    None received.

The Clerk reported that a parishioner has reported too late for inclusion at this meeting that boulders have been placed at the entrance to the A361 underpass and queried the legality of this random act by persons unknown. CG will investigate with Rights of Way and SCC as he is liaising on issues about the ownership of this area at the moment. It will be added to the Agenda for the next meeting. A potential breech of planning with the siting of a mobile home at Nunney Catch and possible building work at Bunns Lane have been reported to CK, who has a new responsibility for this area. He is in discussion with the MDC Enforcement Officer and will report back progress at the next TPC.


1.2 Previous Subject Matters

1.2.1   Financial support for the Friendship Cafe was discussed with SS emailing a report about how it was slowly building up support with attendance from parishioners from Trudoxhill, Nunney and Frome. She encouraged all the TPC to continue the financial support, paying for the monthly Village Hall hire, This would help Julie Britton, the parishioner who organises and gives up her time to run it. Everyone expressed thanks to Julie and were in full support of continuing to fund the community event.

1.2.2   Bus update. JS had taken on the massive task of applying for a grant to help with financing the scheme. With initial help of Michael Gay, he will submit the application before the deadline of 12th May. CG will scan information and send to JS to forward by the deadline. JS was thanked for completing this administrative nightmare.


1.3 Correspondence

PT confirmed that all emails had been sent to Cllrs. He read out the latest from the Enforcement Officer about Connor Construction stating that he wanted information about the submission of the planning application by Friday 7th April. The Clerk confirmed that no more information has been received about whether this has happened. It was agreed that this must not be allowed to drag on yet again and the Clerk was asked to write to insist that a deadline be set and action to follow up be taken. CG said that John Salmon would be prepared to support the TPC with his planning expertise to ensure an appropriate communication was sent. Clerk will follow up. TPC has also received an email from Charles Bonham Christie informing the Council of their potential planning application at Marston Pond. The Clerk had contacted SALC (Somerset Association of Local Councils) for advice and the Guidelines were read out. A copy will also be displayed when these Minutes are published. The TPC will be pleased to advertise any Information sessions organised by the applicant so that parishioners can make themselves aware of the potential plans and to encourage as many people as possible to gain information about the proposals.


1.4 Accounts for Payment

1.4.1  Grass cutting – Kev Gale – £100

1.4.2  Clerk’s wages/expenses for stationary & thank you gifts for Your View. – £106.45 / £30.77

1.4.3  Annual Footpath Invoice for the year 20116/17. P & N Warden – £250.00

1.4.4. Your View printing – Nev Dean – £72.80

1.4.5  Bus Subsidy – MCT – £65.46

1.4.6  Moson – website work – £12.00

1.4.7  Village Hall – Friendship Café – £21.00


1.5 Items to Report:

1.5.1 Highways. Clerk read out email report sent in by SS. She had meet with Sarah Davis (SCC Highways) to review lines and signs. Road narrows sign by phone box in Trudoxhill – too high and wrong direction. She will report. Discussions about 30mph potential repeater before the brook at the southern entrance to the village. Sarah would discuss with Chris Betty and report back. CK had joined them to look at signs at the dangerous bend at Gare Hill. This is partly in Wiltshire and Sarah will follow up the potential of a joint action between SCCWCC. CK will contact local lorry companies. SS will report condition of verge down from the bend to Charlie Higgins in the hope that remedial work will be done. The long awaited drainage work and road repair at Moat Farm is progressing well and could be finished by the end of the week.

1.5.2 Parish Plan. JS/CG/SS to meet shortly to continue to review the plan, date to be agreed with SS. It was stated that the plan is a year and a half into the 10 years set and is a working document that will be open to review as time progresses and situations may change.


1.6 Other Business referred to the Clerk

1.6.1. Annual Return. Section 1. The Annual Governance statement (Section 1 of the Annual Audit) was signed off by PT after being circulated to all TPC. Clerk had prepared and issued the Audit Timeline which she is following. CK will oversee the process as it is his area of responsibility.

1.6.2 Fly tipping. A parishioner at Gare Hill had reported that a person parked in the layby opposite Hill Top Farm had seen and reported black bags of rubbish dumped there. MDC had checked, found an address and eventually the person identified had been fined £500.00! Some success but the need to report fly tipping is vital. Clerk has a contact email and TPC will advertise this and the phone number as widely as possible.


The meeting closed at 8.20pm.

The June 2017 Parish Council meeting will be at 7.30pm Thursday 1st, Trudoxhill Village Hall

For the attention of: Mr P Twigger, Mr C Galpin, Mr C Kenyon, Mrs S Salmon, Revd. A Steele, Mr J Symes, Mr D Valentine. 

District Councillors:  Dick Skidmore and Philip Ham